Frequently Asked Questions

  • FAQ

    What school will my child attend?                                                                                                                                                         Answer: Parents can visit or call the Demographics and Student Assignments Department at (754) 321-2480. Provide your current address with the child's grade level, and the office will determine the assigned school(s). If you have a home address in Broward you can use the following Link: School Locator

    Question: Can my child attend a school other than the assigned school?                                                                                         Answer: Yes. However these choices are limited. For information about these programs, contact the Demographics and Student Assignment Department or call at (754) 321-2480.

    Question: What information do I need to register my child for school?                                                                                 Answer: Students attending a Broward County Public School for the first time will need to bring the following documents to his/her assigned school.

    • Two documents showing proof of residence
    • A Certificate of Immunization (HRS form 680) which is available from a private physician or the Broward County Health Department;
    • Proof of medical examination during the last 12 months;
    • Kindergarten and first-grade students must also present a birth certificate to show proof of age;
    • School records (e.g. a copy of the student's last report card);

    * For more information visit Register My Child in School

    Question: How old does my child have to be to register for Kindergarten?                                                                                         Answer: Students enrolling in Kindergarten must be age 5 or older, on or before September 1st.                                                                                                                                                                                                             

    Question: What supplies does my child need for the beginning of the school year?
    Answer: Each school has its own list of items. Parents are encouraged to contact their child's school for more information.

    Question: What are the hours of my child's school?
    Answer: School hours vary. In general, elementary schools are open from 8 a.m.-2 p.m.;
    middle schools are open from 9:00 a.m.- 4 p.m.; and high schools are open from 7:40a.m. - 2:40 p.m. To determine the specific hours of operation, parents are urged to call the front office of their child's school or visit BCPS School Information & Resources

    Question: Who is eligible for transportation to a Broward County Public School?
    Answer: Transportation via Broward County Public School buses is provided to students living more than two (2) miles from their assigned school or if there is a safety hazard along the route to school. Parents are encouraged to call their child's school for more information or visit Transportation Services

    If a student's school bus is late or misses the bus stop, call (depending on where the family lives):

    Transportation Routes

     Question: How can individuals get involved in a school? 
    Answer: Parents and community members can get involved by participating in a number of ways. They can join the School Advisory Committee (SAC), Parent Teacher Association (PTA) or Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) or the School Advisory Forum (SAF). In addition, parents and other community members can sign up to volunteer in Broward's public schools by calling the Volunteer Services Departmentat (754) 321-2040 or can volunteer to be Mentors to children. Individuals interested in our Mentoring Program are urged to call (754) 321-1972.

    Question: What immunization does my child need to register in a Broward County Public School?
    Answer: Keeping students in Broward County Public Schools safe from infectious diseases is very important. Before entering a Broward Public School, students must have the proper immunizations. For further information, call the Health Education Department at (754) 321-2270. To attend a Broward County Public School, here is what a student needs:

    • PHYSICAL EXAMINATION:Students must have proof of a medical examination within the last 12 months.
    • IMMUNIZATION FORMS:All immunizations must be documented on an original Florida Department of Health Form 680 (Florida Certificate of Immunization).

    *Since the Hepatitis B series can take up to six months to complete, it is vital to begin this process as soon as possible

    MORE INFORMATION(link is external) about immunizations.