Children who have been determined to have been, or are at risk of, abuse, neglect, or abandonment while in the care of their parents or legal guardian may be involved in Dependency Court. The Student Services Department provides support to the student and their family by providing a Dependency Court Liaison who monitors juvenile dependency shelter hearings daily, and attends review hearings as needed.
We support families involved in Dependency Court by:
- Providing a Dependency Court Liaison who monitors dependency shelter hearings daily, attends review hearings as needed, and provides feedback to school-based personnel (Foster Care Designee) so that appropriate action may be taken to ensure the safety of children.
- Providing support, technical assistance, and training to community stakeholders. Enhance collaborative efforts aimed at increasing student success for youth in foster care.
- Delivering the Fostering Student Success program, through an interagency agreement with Department of Children and Family (DCF), ChildNet (Broward’s child welfare agency), Career Source Broward (CSB), Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD) - Area 10, Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ), Circuit 17, Broward Behavioral Health Coalition (BBHC).
- Supporting the stabilization of the child in school to ensure continuing academic instruction, achievement, and social emotional needs.
- Coordinating transportation, to the extent feasible, to maintain school stability for students in foster care despite changes in their living situation.
- Guiding and advocating for secondary level students so that graduation from high school and readiness for post-secondary education and/or vocational training is attainable.
Foster Care Contact Information:
To contact the Foster Care Office, please contact us at: email@example.com
Coordinator, Foster Care Program/Courts Liaison
Guidance Director for Abused, Neglected and Abandoned Youth
Administrative Assistant, Foster Care Program