The Elementary Learning Department is committed to supporting schools in providing rigorous, high-quality instruction to ALL students focused on deliberate and relevant teaching, learning, and student engagement, resulting in high impact teaching and globally competitive students. The Department houses the English Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies content areas. We assist teachers with the following:
- Providing and facilitating high quality teaching and learning experiences based on standards, including WIDA and Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Standards
- Building professional expertise and capacity to plan and implement high quality instruction
- Using data to inform instruction, including the selection of appropriate and relevant instructional materials
In order to provide ALL students with high-quality, differentiated instruction that targets their unique needs, the Elementary Learning Department focuses on the following services to support teachers in personalizing their instruction for students:
- Environmental Considerations and Changes
- Grade Level Florida Standards Implementation
- Deliberate Planning of Curriculum and Instruction
- Using Data to Drive Deliberate Practices and Instruction
- Professional Learning in Language Arts (reading, writing, speaking & listening, language, and foundational skills), Social Studies, Math, and Science
- Language Arts, Social Studies, Math, and Science Content
- Student and Teacher Resources for Language Arts, Social Studies, Math, and Science
- Instructional Materials and Resources in both print and digital formats.
- Focused units of study and resources aligned to appropriate Depths of Knowledge (DOK) based on grade level and content area.
- School-based Professional Development opportunities to support teaching and learning.
- Florida Standards content knowledge
- Florida Standards-aligned Performance Tasks
- Research-based instructional strategies and best practices to effectively deliver Florida Standards
Parents of Elementary School Students (Grades PK-5) should access the Supporting Young Learners website at http://bit.ly/SupportingYoungLearners. You will find guidance and resources related to English Language Arts/Literacy, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Social-Emotional Learning to help ensure your child continues to be successful in school.
Click below to access the grade level Roadmap to Success:
English Language Arts
Core instructional materials are one of the most important resources educators use in the classroom to enhance student learning. It is crucial that they fully align to state standards—what students are expected to learn and be able to do at the end of each grade level—and are high-quality to ensure meaningful instructional support. The comprehensive core curriculum Broward Schools uses requires that students gain knowledge and skills systematically through reading, writing, speaking, listening, and thinking. Our core curriculum aligns with the established body of research on the Science of Reading and integrates high-impact teaching and learning practices throughout. The adopted instructional materials are part of the District's Elementary Curriculum.
Broward County Public Schools utilizes STEMscopes as the core instructional resource for Science. This core resource aligns to the Next Generation Sunshine State Standard for Science while also following the 5E model of instruction. It also provides students with classroom experiences that are connected to real-world phenomena and also provides opportunities to engage in authentic science practices. Our elementary students learn science through the 5E model of instruction which is a student-led inquiry-based learning method. By learning through the 5E instructional model, the teacher acts as the facilitator by guiding students through their questions and investigation, thus allowing for the students to arrive at an in-depth understanding of fundamental scientific concepts.
Broward County Public Schools mathematics instructional materials provide opportunities to build students’ conceptual understanding, develop procedural fluencies, advance recall with automaticity, and promote higher-order thinking skills through meaningful problem-solving investigations. Strategically designed and delivered benchmarks-based math lessons develop in three stages: exploration, procedural reliability, and procedural fluency. The expectation is to build student understanding by utilizing the Concrete-Representational-Abstract (C-R-A) Instructional Sequence. Focused instruction requires coherence of concepts within the grade and across grades. This focus helps students gain strong foundations, including a solid understanding of concepts, a high degree of procedural skill and fluency, and the ability to apply the math they know to solve problems inside and outside the classroom.
Broward County Public Schools utilizes instructional materials that are aligned to the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards for Social Studies. The Elementary Social Studies curriculum incorporates the required state statutes that focus on knowledge of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and Bill of Rights along with Florida’s Constitution, our country’s early history, Patriotism and Flag Education, the History of Florida, and age-appropriate lessons on the history of the Holocaust.