BEST in BCPS
Benchmarks for Excellent Student Thinking in Broward County Public Schools
On February 12, 2020 the Florida State Board of Education adopted new academic learning standards and graduation requirements for students. The State of Florida Department of Education provides detailed information on the adoption process and links to the new standards.
As a consequence of this action, BCPS will:
- revise our curriculum to align content knowledge and skills acquisition sequencing to Florida's academic BEST standards;
- adopt new instructional materials in English Language Arts for the 2021-22 school-year;
- adopt new instructional materials in Mathematics for the 2022-23 school-year;
- align college, career, life-readiness guidance and counseling to reflect new requirements and pathways;
- prepare students for new BEST aligned State assessments beginning in Spring 2023;
- update technical and curricular requirements for suppliers of instructional materials, supplemental supports, professional learning, and other procured materials and services;
- modify policies, protocols, and procedures which guide and support students and educators.
The following materials related to the BESTinBCPS implementation efforts are available at this time:
- Superintendent's Letter on BEST announcement (2020-02-02)
- SBBC Workshop Presentation on BESTinBCPS (2020-02-25)
- Calendar of BEST impact on students by graduation cohort and on teachers by grade level (2020-02-25)
- Summary of BESTinBCPS revision tasks 2020-2023 (2020-02-25)