Voluntary PreKindergarten (VPK)
The Head Start/Early Intervention Department administers the District’s Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Program, a State funded program that offers free instruction to Florida four-year-olds. The direct connection between the VPK Program and the District ensures that the services available through the District are provided to the students enrolled in the program.
District VPK Program models include:
- Head Start/VPK Extended Day – Provides 3 free hours of VPK from 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- VPK/Enrichment (fee supported) – Provides 3 hours of VPK plus an optional, additional 3 hours of instructional enrichment funded through parent fees.
- VPK/Enrichment (blended funding) – Provides full day (6 hour) instruction using a combination of VPK and other state/federal funding (e.g., Head Start, Title I, Migrant, ESE, etc.).
- VPK/Early Learning Labs (Offered at select high schools in conjunction with the CTACE program) – Provides 3 hours of VPK plus an optional, additional 3 hours of instructional enrichment funded through parent fees. High school students enrolled in the Early Childhood program spend time working with the VPK students throughout the day.
The VPK classes follow the 180-day school calendar. The program’s hours of operation vary based on program model and each school’s hours. After school care information is available at all elementary school locations.
Click here to apply for the 2019-2020 School Year VPK/Enrichment Program
When applying for the VPK Program, the following documents are required:
- Proof of age (example: child's ORIGINAL birth certificate)
- Proof of Broward County residency
- Parent’s photo identification (driver’s license, State ID, etc.)
Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Eligibility:
- The child must be 4-years-old on or before September 1st of the current school year
- The child must be a resident of the State of Florida
- For free, VPK programs funded by Title I, the student must live within the boundary of the Title I school.
There is a 2-step process to apply for any District VPK program:
- Parents must obtain a VPK Certificate of Eligibility. In order to do this, a valid email address is required.
- Applications for the VPK Certificate of Eligibility are submitted online through the State’s Single Point of Entry (SPE) system: https://familyservices.floridaearlylearning.com/
- Proof of residence and proof of age must be uploaded into the SPE system.
- A VPK Certificate of Eligibility will be emailed to the applicant.