Military-Connected Students and Families

  • For our military-connected students and families, BCPS is honored to provide a variety of services and accommodations to make your transition to our District as seamless and stress-free as possible. These accommodations, which adhere to the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children, apply to:

    • Children of active-duty service members, including National Guard and Reserve Component service members on active duty.
    • Children of service members or veterans who are severely injured and medically discharged or retired, for one year after discharge or retirement.
    • Children of service members who have died while on active duty, for one year after death.

    This guide provides answers to frequently asked questions to help you prepare for and enroll your child in school, and information on how BCPS can help you and your child throughout the process. 

    Click here to view the brochure. View DistrictOrganization Chart


  • How do I find out which school my child will attend?

    School-aged children living within Broward County are assigned to a school based on their primary residential address and grade level. This is the child's assigned school.

    To find the school assigned to your home address using our School Locator feature.

    You can also call the Demographics & Student Assignment Department at 754-321-2480. You will be asked to provide your address and your child's grade level, and staff will assist in helping you identify the school your child is assigned to attend.

  • Where do I go to enroll my child in school?

    Once you’ve determined which school your child will attend, visit the school to complete the enrollment process. Bring with you any documents and records you have to assist the school in placing your child appropriately. To learn more, visit

    As a military-connected family, below are District accommodations for your child:

    Kindergarten and first grade enrollment age:

    • Students can continue in the same grade, regardless of entrance age requirement, if they have already started kindergarten or first grade in their previous school.

    • Students may go on to the next grade, regardless of age requirement, if they have successfully completed kindergarten or first grade.

    Course and education program placement:

    • BCPS honors placement in courses or programs based on the student’s enrollment, participation or placement in comparable programs from the previous school. District staff may perform an evaluation to ensure the student’s placement is appropriate.

    • The District may waive course or program prerequisites, if similar coursework has been completed at the previous school.

  • What documents do I need to enroll my child in school?

    • Military identification and official military orders

    • Proof of age - child’s birth certificate

    • Student health records - Florida Certificate of Immunization (form 680) and proof of physical exam in the last 12 months are required within 30 days of enrollment.

    • Letter or transcript showing attendance, academic information and grade placement. Unofficial records are accepted; the school will request official records from the previously attended school.

    • Proof of guardianship, if the student resides with a legal guardian

    • Proof of address

  • Can my children participate in specialized academic programs?

    Yes. Each innovative District school offers a variety of options for students. Families are encouraged to explore all of the options available at their assigned school.

    In addition, BCPS understands that families want to have options for their child's education, which may include a choice other

    than their assigned school. Parents and guardians may submit an application for magnet programs, Nova Schools or school reassignments during School Choice application windows.

    Military families are given first preference for admission to all magnet programs, provided students meet eligibility requirements. Military families also receive first priority for school reassignments and admission to Nova schools.

  • What if the School Choice application deadline has passed?

    School choice applications are accepted December – February of each school year. However, parents and guardians who are active-duty military can still submit a School Choice application for a school with space available, even after the deadline has passed.

    To explore your child’s School Choice options and apply online, visit You can also call 754-321-2480 for more information.

    School Choice Explore Your Choice

  • Can my child participate in sports or other extracurricular activities?

    BCPS will make every effort to provide children of military-connected families the opportunity to participate in sports and extracurricular activities, as long as they meet the requirements.

    Note: BCPS adheres to Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) rules, including the requirement that a student to be enrolled at a school prior to being allowed to try out for sports teams at that school.

  • Is before-school care and after-school care available for my child?

    Yes, after-school child care services are available at all District elementary schools, with many schools also offering before-school care. Contact your child’s school for specific details regarding hours of operation and costs. You can also visit, to learn more.

  • My child is in high school; how will graduation requirements be impacted?

    BCPS understands there are extenuating circumstances in your child’s transition to a new school. Our administrators, counselors and educators will work with you to make sure he or she meets graduation requirements. BCPS may:

    • waive courses required for graduation, if a similar course has been completed in the previous school.

    • accept out of state exit exams, end of course exams, or national achievement tests in lieu of local/state testing requirements for graduation.

    • allow a student to receive a diploma from his or her previous school, if the student does not have time to meet BCPS graduation requirements.

  • Are there additional BCPS services available to help my child during the transition to the new school?

    Yes. School social workers and counselors are available at every District school to provide assistance and support to students ofmilitary-connected families as they adjust to their new school setting. For more information on these free and confidential services, contact the BCPS Student Services Department at 754-321-1550.

  • Who can I contact for help?

    BCPS partners with Southern Command to provide services for military families. For help and information, contact:

    Nan Busjit, Military Initiatives Coordinator
    BCPS Student Services Department

    Lucia Romero, School Social Worker
    BCPS Student Services Department

    Ileana Gonzalez-Posado, School Liaison Officer
    U.S. Army Garrison – Miami

    Families can also email:

Community Resources for Military Families

  • Military Interstate Children’s Compact Commission

    Addresses some of the educational challenges that transitioning children of military families face. To learn more, visit To find a school liaison officer who can assist with school issues, visit or call 859-244-8133.

    Florida Department of Education (FDOE) Military Family Resources

    Provides support to students of military families as they adjust to new living environments, schools and peer groups, while experiencing periods of family separation. For information, visit or call 850-245-7851.

    Broward Regional Health Planning Council’s Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF)

    This multi-agency alliance assists veterans in re-acclimating to civilian life. For information, visit or contact Natasha Hedrington, SSVF program manager:; 954-561-9681 ext. 1384.

    U.S. Department of Defense program that provides on-demand, online tutoring and homework help from expert tutors, available 24/7, at no cost to active duty service members and their eligible dependents. Visit


Contact Information

  • BCPS Student Services Department

    1400 NW 14th Ct

    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33311

    Phone: 754-321-1618

    Fax: 754-321-1689

    TTL: --

    Lauderdale Manors Early Learning & Family Resource Center

    Phone: --

    Marielande Saint Preux, LCSW

    Supervisor, School Social Work Services