The Old Dillard Museum is a historical landmark and education center operated by Broward County Public Schools. It has served as an important focal point of education and culture for Fort Lauderdale’s African-American community since its construction in the early 20th century.
Built on land purchased from Fort Lauderdale pioneers Frank and Ivy Stranahan, Old Dillard was the city’s first school for African-American students in 1907. It is named for Dr. James Hardy Dillard, a prominent philanthropist and educator.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the museum’s goal is to promote the heritage of the first national African-American landmark in Broward County by preserving the building and its contents, providing enriching exhibitions and cultural activities, and supporting educational opportunities related to Black history. The organization also seeks to integrate cultural and educational programs with the heritage, revitalization and development of Fort Lauderdale’s historically African-American Sistrunk corridor.
Funding for the museum's activities is provided in part by the Old Dillard Foundation, Funding Arts Broward, Bank of America, The Links, Inc., The National Endowment for the Arts and the Broward County Commission, as recommended by the Broward Cultural Council and other supporters.
Old Dillard Museum
1019 NW 4th Street
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33311