District ELL Plan
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Program
(Amended February 2016)
The goal of the ESOL Program is to ensure that all students, entering Broward County Public Schools with varying levels of limited English proficiency, receive comparable and comprehensible instruction. This instruction helps these students to develop communicative and academic skills necessary for meeting national, state, and district educational standards.
All schools with students classified as English Language Learners (ELL) must provide an appropriate ESOL program to meet the specific students' needs in language learning, academic achievement, and in cultural integration.
Students in the ESOL program are required to meet the same curriculum standards as non-ELLs in English/Language Arts and content area instruction. The content of the curriculum is established by the Sunshine State Standards. ESOL strategies, supplementary materials, and native language assistance are used to ensure that comprehensible instruction is being provided to every ELL.
District ELL Plan Sections:
- Section 1 - Identification
- Section 2 - English Language Proficiency Annual Assessment (Placement)
- Section 3 - Programmatic Assessment
- Section 4 - Comprehensive Program Requirements and Student Instruction
- Section 5 - Statewide Assessment
- Section 6 - English Language Proficiency Assessment (Exit)
- Section 7 - Monitoring Procedures
- Section 8 - Parent/Guardian/Student Notification and Rights
- Section 9 - The Parent Leadership Council
- Section 10 - Personnel Training
- Section 11 - Extension of Services