Evening Among the Stars - Recognition of Stellar Attendance
20/21: A certificate will be delivered to the student's school to recognize the student's stellar attendance.
"Best In Class" students and families will be contacted by staff.
- Elementary school students will be recognized in 5th grade for perfect attendance from K-5.
- Middle school students will be recognized in 8th grade for perfect attendance for grades 6-8.
- High school students will be recognized in 12th grade for perfect attendance from grade 9-12.
- “Best in Class” – High School senior(s) with the best attendance from K-12.
The District Attendance Committee is comprised of teachers, administrators, parents, students, support professionals, and community partners. The committee developed criteria for this District-wide attendance recognition event in 2011. The committee recognizes the highest level of commitment by students and parents for each school level from over 200 public schools within Broward County. The committee encourages school-based incentives for improved attendance and outstanding attendance.
Criteria for Student Recognition at “Evening Among the Stars”
- Students are continuously enrolled in Broward County Public Schools from K-12 in a non-charter school.
- Attendance is not counted for students who have attended a private school or any other public school outside Broward County. Those years cannot be counted toward this attendance recognition.
- Attendance is not counted or reported during the time the student is enrolled in a Florida Home Education Program. Those years cannot be counted toward this attendance recognition.
- A student who submits satisfactory documentation regarding absences due to the observance of a religious holiday, or because the tenets of that student’s religion forbid secular activity, should not be disqualified from the attendance recognition/awards/incentives at the district level for those excused absences.
- “BEST IN CLASS”: The best attendance for all grades K-12. Considered for seniors only. Best attendance does not necessarily mean perfect attendance.
- Perfect attendance recognition is for school levels including K-5, 6-8, and 9-12. Combination schools will be recognized at each level. (Children in a K-8 center will be recognized for attendance in K-5 and 6-8.)
- Data for District eligibility is compiled at the completion of the 3rd marking period for the school year of the recognition (grades 5, 8, and 12).
February 15, 2018 through February 27, 2018 will be excluded from the query for the perfect attendance recognition until we graduate kindergarten students that started in 2017/18. This change in the program would allow all absences in the time between the tragedy at Stoneman Douglas High School and the return of students to the building. Stoneman Douglas High School students returned to school on February 28, 2018.
Starting with February 14, 2019, if a student has an excused absence on February 14, the absence will be excluded from the query for students otherwise eligible for the “Evening Among the Stars” perfect attendance recognition. This exclusion may be reviewed by the District Attendance Committee as needed.
Absences during the COVID-19 pandemic will be excluded from the query between December 20, 2019 and June 9, 2021.
For exceptions not meeting the listed criteria for “Best in Class,” the District Attendance Committee may consider students on a case-by-case basis. The parent or guardian should contact the Coordinator for District Attendance to initiate a panel review by February 1 of the child’s senior year.