Child Abuse & Neglect Prevention Services
TO REPORT CHILD ABUSE, CALL 1-800-96ABUSE
Child Abuse & Neglect Prevention Services, in operation since 1984, is designed to ensure that all students will engage in student learning while living in safe home and school environments. It is intended to improve the overall achievement of students through removing them from harmful and stressful circumstances, if necessary, and providing remedial supports for them to achieve academic success.
The program is responsible for interagency collaboration with the Florida Department of Children and Families, ChildNet, the Child Protection Team/Nancy J. Cotterman Sexual Assault Treatment Center, the Child Protective Investigations Section of the Broward Sheriff’s Office, other law enforcement agencies, the judicial system, and community providers.
This BCPS program provides the following services:
- A specialized training for all school-based designees working with Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Services.
- Case consultation to school-based child abuse designees, school administrators, teachers, and other school district staff (including charter schools) who are responsible for mandatory reporting.
- Support and technical assistance to all employees in completing the mandatory Child Abuse training on the Department of Children and Families.
- Assistance to the child abuse investigators with student information requests for child abuse investigation purposes.
Five Protective Factors
In a study done by Washington State in 2006, they found that children 0-5 had the highest rate of abuse, followed by children 6-11 then children 12 to 17-years-old. Children 0-3 are at the greatest risk of any abuse. They have the highest abuse and neglect rates; they are most likely to die from the abuse and neglect they experience.
Research shows that the Five Protective Factors (Nurturing and Attachment, Knowledge of Parenting and Youth development, Parent resilience, Social connections, Concrete support for parents) reduce the incidence of Child Abuse and Neglect by providing parents with the tools needed to parent effectively even under stress. Parents who are sensitive and responsive to their children’s needs tend to keep a safe home environment; they have strong communication and problem-solving skills, and they are unlikely to be abusive or neglectful.
Broward County Public Schools is committed to supporting parents in their effort to raise children in a healthy and safe environment. To substantiate that commitment, the Five Protective Factors Presentation is now available on the Parent Involvement webpage for all parents of Broward County to access. They are:
- Nurturing and Attachment
- Knowledge of Parenting and of Child and Youth Development
- Parental Resilience
- Social Connections
- Concrete Supports for Parents