2019/20 Hope Scholarship Program
What is the Hope Scholarship Program?
- The Hope Scholarship Program is a state of Florida school choice program. Hope Scholarships are available for eligible students to select and attend another public or private school of choice.
- Students who have reported a qualified incident that took place at a K-12 public school/event may be eligible
Who is eligible?
Students who have been a victim of any qualified incidents listed below during the 2019/20 school year (August 14, 2019 - June 2, 2020) at a K-12 public school, any school-related or school-sponsored program or activity, riding the bus or waiting at the bus stop:
Qualified Incidents Battery Bullying Fighting Harassment Hazing Kidnapping Physical Attack Robbery Sexual Assault Sexual Battery Sexual Harassment Sexual Offenses Threat/Intimidation
How do I apply?
- Report the incident to the Principal/Administrative Office of your child's current school
- The Principal will begin an investigation into the incident
- Eligible students will receive a Hope Scholarship Program Incident Report Form and application from their Principal
- To apply for a school within Broward County Public Schools, please submit the completed Hope Scholarship application and Incident Report Form to the Office of School Choice.
- To apply for a private school or transportation funding to another school district, please contact the nonprofit Scholarship Funding Organization (SFO) Step Up for Students for additional information.
How long is scholarship?
Upon approval of a Hope Scholarship, your child will be permitted to matriculate to the next school level in the identified feeder pattern on the Hope Scholarship application. Reapplication to attend the next school level is not necessary.
How long does it take to receive a scholarship?
Once an incident is reported to your child's school, the Principal has 15 school days to complete the investigation and provide a Hope Scholarship application to eligible students. Once the parent has completed the application and returned it to the Demographics & Student Assignments Department, the Demographics & Student Assignments Department will process the application within 48 hours of receipt.
My child needs help but is not eligible. What are my options?
If the incident involving your child is found not to be an eligible Hope Scholarship incident, you may appeal following the Code of Conduct processes.