Certification Requirements for Paid High School Athletic Coaches
OBTAINING THE THREE-YEAR ATHLETIC COACHING CERTIFICATE
- Apply online to the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) for the three-year Athletic Coaching Certificate. http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/apply
- Talent Acquisition and Operations, Instructional requests issuance of the three-year Athletic Coaching Certificate from the DOE once the school submits the request and approval is granted. The initial certificate is nonrenewable and may be issued one time only.
- DOE issues a Statement of Status of Eligibility Letter (SOE) and the certificate.
- SOE outlines the requirements needed for the five-year Athletic Coaching Certificate - includes nine (9) semester hours of specialized athletic coaching coursework and a valid CPR card or certificate from the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross or the equivalent from an approved FL Department of Health entity.
- Courses are offered online from the American Sport Education Program (ASEP). These courses are different from the ones provided by FHSA. Register for courses at Human Kinetics Coach Education Center.
- After completion of the courses, email Certificate of Completions to Rocky Gillis, County Athletic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Make certain to include your full name and SBBC personnel number.
- A record will be created in the District's professional development system. In order for you to receive credit for your completed courses, you must access your newly created account on Learning Across Broward (LAB) and complete the required evaluation.
OBTAINING THE FIVE-YEAR ATHLETIC COACHING CERTIFICATE
- Complete all requirements outlined in the SOE.
- Apply online to the DOE for the five-year Athletic Coaching Certificate and send valid CPR card or certificate. http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/apply
Florida Statute 1012.55(2) mandates that paid athletic coaches hold a valid full-time Florida Department of Education (DOE) teaching certificate or an Athletic Coaching Certificate issued by the DOE.