Certification Requirements for Paid High School Athletic Coaches
OBTAINING THE THREE-YEAR ATHLETIC COACHING CERTIFICATE
- Apply online to the DOE for the three-year Athletic Coaching Certificate. http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/apply
- Certification requests issuance of the three-year Athletic Coaching Certificate from the DOE once the preclearance from the school is submitted to Instructional Staffing. The initial certificate is nonrenewable and may be issued one time only.
- DOE issues a Statement of Status of Eligibility Letter (SOE) and the certificate.
- SOE outlines the requirements needed for the five-year Athletic Coaching Certificate - includes nine (9) semester hours of specialized athletic coaching coursework and a valid CPR card or certificate from the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross or the equivalent from an approved FL Department of Health entity.
- School Board of Broward County offers the required coursework online, via in-service, from an approved plan with the American Sport Education Program (ASEP):
- Register for courses at www.asep.com
- Click on Organization Requirements
- Click on "B", "Broward County School District FL"
- Complete courses and email Certificate of Completion to Rocky Gillis at email@example.com - make certain to include your full name and SBBC personnel number.
- Access your account on My Learning Plan and complete the required evaluation to receive credit.
OBTAINING THE FIVE-YEAR ATHLETIC COACHING CERTIFICATE
- Complete all requirements outlined in the SOE.
- Apply online to the DOE for the five-year Athletic Coaching Certificate and send valid CPR card or certificate. http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/apply
- Request district Certification office send form CT-115 "District Verification for Completion of Approved In-service" form to the DOE. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Florida Statute 1012.55(2) mandates that paid athletic coaches hold a valid full-time Florida Department of Education (DOE) teaching certificate or an Athletic Coaching Certificate issued by the DOE.