Eligibility Requirements & Steps to become a Substitute TeacherEligibility:
- 18 years of age or older
- At least 60 semester hours of completed coursework from an accredited institution
- Completed on-line application (via AppliTrack)
- Reference letters from all previous employers
- Obtain fingerprint clearance ($75 fee applies)
- Attend on-line substitute training/on-boarding course ($40 fee applies)
1. Gather documents required to complete online application
- Transcripts fline application. Transcripts must be legible and the name of the university must be displayed. You must submit your official transcripts with your employment documents prior to being cleared to begin work. (Former SBBC Instructional employees do not need bring their official transcripts, however we request that you upload the transcript into on-line application if you are unable to upload an unofficial copy attach Former SBBC PDF)
References- A reference is required from each previous employer/supervisor listed in the Experience section of your application.
Florida Statute 1012.27 (6) requires that employers conduct employment history checks of each of the person’s previous employers, screen instructional and school administrators and document the finding before employing a person in any position that requires direct contact with students. If unable to contact a previous employer, the district school superintendent shall document efforts to contact the employer.
Applicants are required to submit a reference letter or their most recent performance evaluation from each previous employer/supervisor listed in the Work Experience portion of your application. If you do not submit a reference or evaluation, you will be sent a reference request form to document the reason why a reference can not be obtained. (Recently retired SBBC Teachers may not require references use the Retired SBBC PDF to upload in reference area. )
The following references/evaluations must be submitted and can not be waived:
- Most recent/ current employer
- Experienced teachers must submit a reference/overall evaluation from each previous principal
- Recent Education graduates must submit a letter from their College Supervisor and Cooperating/ Directing
Applicants will not be processed without a complete application.
- Payment Registration Receipt for the Substitute Teacher Training On-Boarding Course.
- The mandatory Broward County Public Schools Substitute Teacher Training On-Boarding Course is required for ALL candidates, regardless of teaching/substitute experience, to become a Broward County substitute teacher. This course will provide you with valuable knowledge, skills, and materials that will empower you to be successful in the classroom.
- There is a cost associated with this training of $40.00, and will be the responsibility of the applicant. Payment must be made online by credit card. This cost will not be reimbursed by Broward County Public Schools.
- The training is a full-day (8:30 am – 4:00 pm), on-line training that includes: Expectations of a Substitute, Ethics, Effective Teaching Behaviors, Classroom Management, Teaching Strategies and requirements for additional course work in Canvas and Microsoft Teams.
- To register and obtain receipt to upload to your application.
2. Go to Applitrack for online application; under “Vacancies" (left side) select:
- “A Substitute Teacher Training On-Boarding Course” for the date you want to attend Apply here
- You will be prompted to complete your application and upload all required documents. Click here to see a visual description of how to select the Sub Course. NOTE: Classes fill up quickly, in order to attend the class, all required documents must be uploaded in a timely manner. Candidates that have not uploaded required documents will not be scheduled.
- After your file is reviewed, you will receive an email with next steps indicating the status of your application.
- When you attend the training course, you are required to bring your Social Security Card** and official transcripts. If you do not have a social security card in your possession, it is recommended that you apply for a new card to be issued. This process can take up to 3 weeks.
- In order to complete the hiring process, you will be required to electronically submit employment documents including a copy of your social security card and official transcripts. If you do not have a social security card in your possession, it is recommended that you apply for a new card to be issued. This process can take up to 3 weeks. If you do not have an official copy of your transcript you will need to request one immediately.
Per Florida Statute 119.071(5), this is to notify you of the purpose for collecting and utilizing your Social Security Number. Providing your Social Security Number is a condition of employment at Broward County Public Schools. To protect your identification, Broward County Public Schools will secure your Social Security Number from unauthorized access, and strictly prohibit the release of your Social Security Number to unauthorized parties contrary to state and federal law.
Social Security numbers are collected for legitimate business purposes during the recruitment, selection and hiring process with Broward County Public Schools. Your Social Security Number will be used for completing and processing the following actions: Employment application for determining certification eligibility [1012.56 F.S.], Completion of federal I-9 form for the filing and issuance of federal employment forms [8 USC 1324a(b)], Completion of federal W-4 form for filing and issuance of federal employment forms [8 USC 1324a(b)], Florida Retirement Contribution Report [119.07(5)(a)6.b], and Conducting criminal background screening [1012.56 F.S.]. Your Social Security Number may be used as a unique numeric identification within some of our systems and may be used for search purposes.