Congratulations and welcome to the Broward County Public Schools!
As indicated in the email you received, you are eligible to begin work. If you are new or being rehired to Broward, you will receive an email that contains your personnel number after your employment/hiring documents are processed. You can also check with your location.
The last part of the employment process is to attend an Onboarding Newly Hired Session & a Benefits Session. The Onboarding Session will review a myriad of information regarding your employment, such as, certification/licensure requirements, work experience credit, salary and compensations, probationary status, employee evaluations, and professional development.
There are several live-sessions and you can choose the one most convenient for you. A representative from Talent Acquisition – Instructional/Certification will be available at the end of the session for questions. We understand that you may be teaching when the live sessions are scheduled. Therefore, if you are not able to attend a live session, recorded sessions will also be available. Check back at this site for the links.
In addition to the Onboarding session, you will need to complete the Benefits Session. A Benefits representative should be contacting you. It is imperative that you meet with the benefits representative even if you opt out of the District’s benefits.
In this new environment of “e-Learning”, there are several professional development/webinar courses that you will need to participate in. These courses will teach you about the technology tools that will be used to help prepare you for the virtual school day. Listed below are a few of the courses to get you started.
- Two separate webinars - these webinars are applicable for all instructional employees regardless of your assigned area (i.e. math teacher, school counselor, 3rd grade, etc.)
- Getting Started with Canvas; and, Teams for Web Conferencing
- Depending on your assignment, you will attend the appropriate content area session.
- Elementary Content in Canvas is a self-paced course. You will not receive an email invite. You will access this course through LAB/Canvas.
- Secondary Learning in your Content Area (math, science, social studies, etc.). The facilitator will send you an email that indicates the time and the link.
- ESE (Students with Disabilities) Teachers: elementary level teachers attend the elementary content session and High, Middle and center teachers attend the secondary/reading content session. The facilitator will send you an email that indicates the time and the link.
- Applied Learning is for teachers in the following areas: Debate, Music & Performing Arts, Physical Education, STEM & Computer Science, and Visual Arts. This session is titled, “Best eLearning Practices for Applied Learning”. The facilitator will send you an email that indicates the time and the link.
- All other instructional employees, check with your principal/supervisor if there are any specific content courses for you to attend.
- In addition to the above, you should also register for Canvas for Teachers: this professional development course covers how to use Canvas to deliver curriculum, manage curriculum content, and track student performance.
Newly hired teachers may be automatically registered for these courses. If so, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com. If you do not receive an email, you can access the District’s learning system, Learning Across Broward (LAB) at https://www.browardschools.com/Page/35417. Current registrations are displayed under the Course tab in the My Courses section.
The above-mentioned webinars/professional development can be found in LAB by clicking the Courses tab, scrolling down to Find Courses by Tag, and clicking on eLearning. Various offerings focused on eLearning are offered on multiple dates/times.
We appreciate your flexibility as we navigate this new environment. Please review your email frequently for notices from the District and/or your school. Notices will be from different departments who will be available to support you during your career with Broward County. Be sure to check your junk, spam and clutter boxes. If you have any questions or not sure who to contact, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Onboarding SessionsYou only need to attend one. Please select one of the dates below to attend and click on the link below five (5) minutes before start time.
The link will be available the day of the orientation. The information being reviewed at each session is the same.
If your unable to access link above you can call in +1 754-216-1864 United States, Fort Lauderdale (Toll)Conference ID: 707 526 052#
Teacher Handbook Download HERE
Onboarding PowerPoint Download HERE
(Additional resources forms and schedules access Teachers Resources - Forms & Information on the left side of page)
Thursday, September 24 - 3:00 p.m.
You may have heard the Florida Governor, Ron Desantis, has signed HB 641 (Teacher Salary Enhancement) into law. This law allows the State to allocate money to Districts for teacher salaries. The focus of the money is to increase the minimum base salary for full-time classroom teachers plus certified prekindergarten teachers to at least $47,500. However, the change to the starting salary will make the current salary schedule disproportionate. Therefore, it must be discussed at the upcoming negotiation sessions with The District and Broward Teacher's Union. At this time, we don’t have a date when the negotiations will be finalized. We can assume that the starting salary is being negotiated to be $47,500; but if you have verified years of teaching experience, we are unable to confirm your salary at this time. We will inform you when negotiations have concluded.
On our website, https://www.browardschools.com/Page/31926, you can view the current Pay for Performance Initial Placement Salary Schedule. Newly hired instructional candidates, at the time of processing, are placed on the first level, $43,274. (Instructional candidate on a 196 day calendar.) If you have experience credit, the experience credit will be reflected after you have submitted the verification of Work Experience Forms. After the form has been submitted, please allow four (4) weeks for processing.
NOTE: Some of you may have seen on the Salary Schedule, a Referendum Supplement. The referendum amount to be paid must be negotiated each year. As stated, in the previous paragraph, the District and Broward Teacher’s Union are currently discussing this at negotiations. You will be notified at the conclusion of negotiations.
There are several divisions and departments that offer support to teachers new to Broward. Please reach out to them for any assistance you may need. Listed below are a few.
The Office of School Performance & Accountability (OSPA) has two departments that provide support to teachers new to Broward.
- The Office of Coaching & Induction will be providing you a coach/mentor. https://www.browardschools.com/Domain/13456
- The Office of Teacher Professional Learning & Growth (TPLG) has programs available to assist teachers on a temporary certificate with options for completing their requirements. Some of these options are free of charge. https://www.browardschools.com/Page/39594
The Office of Academics provides support for each level, subject, and exceptionality. They have curriculum experts in your teaching area. Their website has valuable information and can connect you with the experts. https://www.browardschools.com/academics