Social & Emotional Learning (SEL) & Mindfulness
Inspire. Nurture. Challenge.
The purpose of this initiative is to provide students with the Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) skills to:
- Succeed academically
- Contribute to their own overall well-being and to that of their families and communities
- Enjoy productive and satisfying lives
To these ends, the primary goal, with the involvement of parents and community members, shall be to provide opportunities for all students to develop the following Collaborative for Academic and Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL) competencies:
- Self-Awareness: Recognizing one's emotions and values as well as one's strengths and challenges.
- Self-Management: Managing emotions and behaviors to achieve one's goals.
- Social Awareness: Showing understanding and empathy for others.
- Relationship Skills: Forming positive relationships, working in teams, dealing effectively with conflict.
- Responsible Decision-Making: Making ethical, constructive choices about personal and social behavior.
This Mission is to make Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) an essential part of the Broward County Public Schools education and curricula.
What is Social and Emotional Learning?
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is the process through which students and adults learn to recognize and manage emotions, solve problems effectively and establish positive relationships with others. SEL provides direct instruction in skills that enable students to succeed in college, career, and life by being responsible citizens and decision-makers. Instruction in SEL encourages students to see themselves and others in a positive light, manage emotions, set and achieve goals and solve problems they encounter effectively. SEL supports positive school cultures and climates to provide students with the skills needed to succeed throughout their school experience and in their lives.
Strategies for Helping Children with Changes Resulting from COVID-19