(Download Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print PDF)
Broward’s Global Scholars initiative connects participating middle school students (see list below) to other participating schools around the world. Using Internet-based educational activities, project-based learning and other instructional strategies as an elective or within a specific content area, the goal is authentic learning to develop students’ global citizenship while enhancing critical 21st century skills.
Successful implementation includes subject content mastery, English language communication, and technology proficiency. This blended learning program provides access to an interactive, multimedia online classroom and original curriculum materials, enabling students to learn and communicate about important issues with their international peers. Teachers gain year-round professional development and a connection to a worldwide network of educators.
Global Scholars Program
Global Scholars is an online global awareness education initiative sponsored by Global Cities, Inc., a program of Bloomberg Philanthropies. It connects classes of students, ages 10–13, in large urban areas with their international peers using an interactive, multimedia electronic classroom.
It is currently operating in over 45 cities around the world. There is no cost to participating schools. Global Cities, Inc. provides the curriculum, access to the e-classroom, and professional development. Broward has identified 26 middle schools to participate in the program.
- Annabel C Perry PK-8*
- Apollo Middle School
- Attucks Middle School
- Bair Middle School
- Coral Springs Middle School*
- Crystal Lake Middle School
- Deerfield Beach Middle School
- Driftwood Middle School
- Glades Middle School
- Lauderdale Lakes Middle School*
- Lauderhill 6-12
- Lyons Creek Middle School
- Margate Middle School
- McNicol Middle School
- Millennium 6-12 Collegiate
- New Renaissance Middle School
- New River Middle School
- Nova Middle School
- Olsen Middle School
- Parkway Middle School
- Pines Middle School
- Pioneer Middle School*
- Plantation Middle School
- Pompano Beach Middle School
- Ramblewood Middle School
- Rickards Middle School
- Silver Lakes Middle School
- Silver Trail Middle School
- Tequesta Trace Middle School
- Walter C. Young Middle School*
- Westglades Middle School
- Westpine Middle School
- William Dandy Middle School
* Denotes school offering Global Scholars for the first year.
Global Scholars supports the following key objectives:
- Broaden students’ local-to-global perspective by learning from peers in other cities
- Gain subject matter content knowledge on an issue of mutual concern
- Equip students to navigate a 21st century virtually-connected world
- Augment digital technology proficiency
- Promote English language practice and literacy
- Computers and Internet connection are required to participate in this Internet-based curriculum and access the secure, pass-coded e-classroom. The program activities are conducted in English.
- There is no fee to take part in Global Scholars.
- Enable direct virtual communication between international classes through online discussion boards and multimedia projects
- Give students the technology skills they need to succeed in the 21st Century
- Broaden students’ perspectives on critical global issues so they can think globally and act locally
Global Student Learning Outcomes with Indicators
2020 - 2021 School Year August 2020 September 2020 October 2020 November 2020 December 2020 January 2021 February 2021 March 2021 April 2021 May 2021 2019 - 2020 School Year August 2019 September 2019 October 2019 November 2019 December 2019 January 2020 February 2020 March 2020 April 2020 May 2020 2018 - 2019 School Year December 2018 January 2019 February 2019 March 2019 April 2019 May 2019
Global Scholar Showcases