Learning at a Distance
The School District is now in Phase III of a hybrid model of instruction giving families the option of continuing to receive instruction remotely, while encouraging students to return to school; especially students who are not making academic progress. The health, safety, and well-being of our employees, students, and their families remain paramount. The School District will continue to use the Canvas learning management system as our synchronous classroom and Teams for our asynchronous web conferencing tool. An emphasis is being made to return to in-class instruction, while keeping socially distant and using the Poly Studio USB Video Bar to enable remote students to participate in the in-class activities. This is a change from Phase II when instruction was delivered virtually to both in-class and remote students using the digital tools mentioned above.
For information on COVID-19 and the School District’s response, please visit browardschools.com/Coronavirus. If you are looking for activities and resources for you and your children while learning at a distance, please visit browardschools.com/learningnevercloses.
The Innovative Learning Department is an integral part of Broward County Public Schools' Learning Division within the Office of Academics, focusing on supporting and implementing innovations in teaching and learning to assist BCPS students, teachers, and administrators with transitioning to personalized learning environments. There are several units within the department: Gifted and Talented Students, Global Scholars, Instructional and Digital Materials, Instructional Technology, and Library/Media.
Innovative Learning is committed to empowering all learners to achieve their highest potential through customized learning, creativity, collaboration, and the infusion of digital tools and resources.
Through this emphasis on innovation and personalization, we see our vision coming to life: sparking creative ideas one learner at a time.
INNOVATIVE LEARNING WORKSHOP SERIES APRIL 12 – 16
Innovative Learning will be providing professional learning and webinars the week of April 12 – April 16 including the following topics:
WEBINARS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- NEW Reading and Writing in the Gifted Classroom
- NEW “No More, I’m Finished! What do I do now?” Open the Floodgates and Let your Gifted Students Soar!
- Student Education Plans and Accommodations (SEPA) App
- Getting Started with Nearpod
- Creating Lessons in Nearpod
- Getting Started with Poly Studio
- Microsoft Immersive Reader
- Getting Started with Canvas Substitutes Only
- Teams for Web Conferencing Substitutes Only
- Microsoft Whiteboard 101
- Getting to Know the Technology Integration Matrix (TIM)
Fully Online Professional Development Options
- Celebrating Success with Formative and Summative Assessments (March 15 – May 14) Rhonda Weimann / Lisa Paguaga – Section# 48307 – 16 in-service points
- Vocabulary.com Certified Educator (April 5 – May 7) Sarah Myhre / Karen Kaya – Section# 48655 – 8 in-service points
Professional Development Options via TEAMS
- Beginner’s Guide for e-Learning (Substitutes Only – Week 1 of 4) – 16 in-service points
- Microsoft Academy (Week 4 of 4) – Section# 48331 – 8 in-service points
- Simplified Design Tools (Week 1 of 2) – Section# 48672 – 4 in-service points
- Intro to OneDrive and OneNote (Week 1 of 2) – Section# 48733 – 4 in-service points
- Hybrid Learning with Multiple Digital Tools – Section# 48739 – 4 in-service points
Want to add engaging projects to your PBL’s? Introducing the new Broward PBL Portal @SciStarter LTI in Canvas
This new external tool is now available to all BCPS K-12 Teachers and Students!! Join us for the webinars and learn how to assign these engaging projects to your students!
Elementary School April 12th – 3:30 – 5 pm Section# 48635 Middle School April 14th – 3:30 – 5 pm Section #48680 High School April 15th – 3:30 – 5 pm Section# 48681
Please download The day-to-day full Schedule of the Webinars
REGISTER IN LAB
Facilitators will be sending out an email from LAB with the join links to the web conference the day before the event. Look for an email from “firstname.lastname@example.org” All professional learning for in-service points only. Webinars are informational only.