Old Davie School Historical Museum
Use Supplemental Arts and Sciences Program Funding at Old Davie School Historical Museum!
Step Back in Time at the Old Davie School!
The Old Davie School Historical Museum’s Step Back in Time program is a 2-hour interactive field trip that investigates the hardships, triumphs, and daily life of the pioneering farmers in the Florida Everglades 100 years ago through artifacts, photographs, and hands-on activities.
Tour the historic Davie School—the “first school in the Everglades” built in 1918—and recreate the students' first day! Students attend a lesson in the restored classroom and practice writing with dip ink pens, then explore the museum exhibits! Other activities may include a tour through the 1909 Florida Pioneer House and washing laundry on a washboard, meeting farm animals, or making fresh orange juice or butter! Picnic tables available for lunch following the program.
· Time: The Step Back in Time Program is offered Tuesday - Friday, by reservation only. The tour starts at 10:00 a.m. and runs until 12:00 p.m.
· Cost: $7 per student; one chaperone required per ten students, admitted free. Additional chaperones $5.
· Number of participants: 15 minimum, 100 maximum
Check out our 3rd-5th Grade Curriculum Guide available on our website with more activities and information for students and teachers!
The Step Back in Time Virtual Program is a flexible option for students to explore the Old Davie School from your own classroom! Program includes a 30-minute video presentation with an accompanying Teacher’s Guide with additional activities, games, and discussion questions. An optional Live Zoom session will take students through the 1918 Davie School to see more of the museum and ask questions!
· Time: Video Presentation is available by YouTube link for one week to use on your time; Live Zoom can be scheduled Monday-Friday between 10am and 1pm.
· Cost: With Live Zoom- $45 per class/30 students; Without Live Zoom- $30 per class/30 students.