Athletic Coach Information
Certification Requirements for Paid Middle School/High School Coaches
OBTAINING THE THREE-YEAR ATHLETIC COACHING CERTIFICATE
- Apply online to the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) for the three-year Athletic Coaching Certificate. http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/apply
- Talent Acquisition and Operations, Instructional requests issuance of the three-year Athletic Coaching Certificate from the DOE once the school submits the request and approval is granted. The initial certificate is nonrenewable and may be issued one time only.
- DOE issues a Statement of Status of Eligibility Letter (SOE) and the certificate.
- SOE outlines the requirements needed for the five-year Athletic Coaching Certificate - includes nine (9) semester hours of specialized athletic coaching coursework and a valid CPR card or certificate from the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross or the equivalent from an approved FL Department of Health entity.
- Courses are offered online from the American Sport Education Program (ASEP). These courses are different from the ones provided by FHSA. Register for courses at Human Kinetics Coach Education Center.
- After completion of the courses, email Certificate of Completions to Rocky Gillis, County Athletic Director, at email@example.com. Make certain to include your full name and SBBC personnel number.
- A record will be created in the District's professional development system. In order for you to receive credit for your completed courses, you must access your newly created account on Learning Across Broward (LAB) and complete the required evaluation.
OBTAINING THE FIVE-YEAR ATHLETIC COACHING CERTIFICATE
- Complete all requirements outlined in the SOE.
- Apply online to the DOE for the five-year Athletic Coaching Certificate and send valid CPR card or certificate. http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/apply
Florida Statute 1012.55(2) mandates that paid athletic coaches hold a valid full-time Florida Department of Education (DOE) teaching certificate or an Athletic Coaching Certificate issued by the DOE.
Athletic Coaching Required Courses
Broward County School District in partnership with Human Kinetics Coach Education offers high school coaches the opportunity to take the online courses Coaching Principles, Sport First Aid, and advanced sport-specific courses to meet the Florida Department of Education Athletic Coaching Certification and Endorsement. Certification is earned by successfully completing the three required online courses.
Coaching Principles and Sport First Aid online courses include textbooks that are available as e-books or printed texts. Either format is acceptable.
With the e-book version, you gain immediate access to your course, the course is more affordable, nothing is shipped to you, and you avoid shipping charges.
Purchase the e-book versions of Coaching Principles and Sport First Aid at the same time and save $20! Use promo code FLCP at checkout.
The print-book versions provide you with the tangible benefits of having a physical book at your fingertips. The drawbacks are that you have to wait for the books to be shipped to you and you pay for shipping.
Purchase Coaching Principles and Sport First Aid with paperback* at the same time and save $20! Select the bundled course from the listing below (shipping charges apply).
* Please note that when purchasing a bundled course package with paperback, you will not have immediate access to your courses. You will need to wait for the course materials to be shipped to you. These materials include the print textbooks and key code letters. Key codes are required to “unlock” your online courses on the website.
When you've completed a course, you have the ability to print a certificate of course completion from the website. This feature is found under the National Coaches Registry area of the site.
Broward County School District
Attention: Shawn Cerra
Director, Athletics & Student Activities
Athletic Coach/Volunteer Security Clearance
Athletic Coach Fingerprinting Process (Paid/Not Paid)All coaches (paid/volunteer) MUST pass the security background check. If the coach is not an employee, have the coach begin the fingerprint process. After you recommend the coach in the DOV, you can print out a form to give them with instructions for fingerprinting. Fingerprints are scheduled through fieldprint.com. Instructions are available at: http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/instructstaff/FIELDPRINT%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf. The paid coach must incur the cost of $75.00. The following codes will be required: Fieldprint code: FPBCPSEmpInstNet; Location #:_________ Position: 16741235. The volunteer coach must first apply at http://www.getinvolvedineducation.com and then Principal or designee sends an email to level 2 fingerprint with the name of the coach and the specific sport to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate in the Subject Line: Volunteer Coach – Level 2 Clearance.